Monday, September 30, 2013

When it all began...


What were you doing on December 19th, 2011? I was on the start of Christmas break in my final year of high school. It was like any other weekend (mostly). I had been battling what I thought had been a cold for a few weeks now, but I still decided to head off to work. A few co-workers of mine saw I wasn't feeling well at all and told me to go to the hospital. So I left work early, and called my mom to take me to the hospital. We went into emergency thinking I might have pneumonia, so a chest x-ray was in order. I was expecting antibiotics and to go home and rest. What I wasn't expecting was the word "cancer", but that's what I got. A mass on my lung, that was about 3/4 the size of my lung.

That's when it all began.

My name is Brooke Ashley Malakoff, I am currently 18 (I had just turned 17 at the time of my diagnosis) and I have a cancer called 'infantile fibrosarcoma'. If you're ambitious enough to research my disease you will find that its normally diagnosed in infants and up to the age of 7 years old. You would also find that it does not originate on the lung, it starts in the soft tissue of the limbs and can occasionally spread to the lungs.

I always thought I was unique. I think this helps prove that.

Back in December on the 29th I had my left lung, and the tumor, removed. But not before the tumor had a chance to burst. After the surgery I was in the clear, at least for a little while. In May 2012, one month before my graduation I was back in Vancouver for a check up. Even though there is no left lung, the disease is now in the cavity where my lung should be. Great. So 3 weeks before my high school graduation I was getting prepared to start the journey that would change me forever. Chemotherapy began, along with all the side effects that chemotherapy brings. I actually lost my hair the morning of my commencement ceremonies (thank goodness for wigs)!

So here I am, almost 2 years later, finally ready to start sharing my story from my own point of view.
Most of my family and friends have heard of my 'journey' from a facebook group that my mom keeps updated. This is the beginning of my story, told from my perspective. This blog is going to be like my journal of my past and future treatments, and how I've felt through all of my experiences. I'm hoping to inspire, entertain, and help you all understand how I've handled this whole process.

I hope that whoever reads this will share it with their friends who need a little bit of inspiration, or something to read from time to time.

Until next time fellow bloggers/blog readers.

3 comments:

  1. Love and light
    <3. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not only courageous but definitely inspirational. I "caught" your appearances on the Telethon and have followed your Journey through your mom's postings and through the comments of family, friends and supporters.
    Awesome that you are sharing your perspective as it's important for others to realize that despite the horrific physical and emotional experiences, you are striving to live a
    fulfilling, and "normal" life. Looking forward to reading your blog. All the best!! Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  3. think of you often keep fighting~~ much love and many prayers~~, Linda & Tom

    ReplyDelete